Friday, March 6, 2009

A couple of days in Uruguay

Well our luck with the weather finally ran out when we hit Montevideo, and we had a rainy day. But we made the most of it and still wandered around the city and did a little shopping. The city is interesting, but there is not that much to see aside from the becahes (which are not much fun on a grey day...). WE did indepencia square, and the old city.

Before heading to Montevideo, we stopped in Colonia which is a Unesco hertigae site, but I have to admit these old port areas start to look the same, after you have seen a bunch of the so we did not stay too long.

Then we headed to Punta Del Este, which is billed as the Miami Beach of Uruguay. It still has a ways to go before rivalling Miami Becah, but the effort is there. There is a obviously a lot of money in the town, and there are hotels and condos all along the beach road. The shopping area has a lot of big names as well (Tiffany, Tommy, etc). Brava Beach on the Atlantic side is great for surfers but rough for swimming and the beach is kinda pebbly. Bikini Becah on the Gulf side is much nicer, with the fluffy sand, board walk and yatch club. It is also much busier. Wow was it hot, the sun is very strong. I spent most of the two days covered up in an effort not to get burnt.

I keep getting my poor feet burnt walking around, I may have to resort to wearing socks with my sandals, which will look ridiculous in fashion concious Buenos Aires.... I wore socks all today both on the beach and walking around and got a few strange looks, but my feet are much happier with me tonight !

Uruguay is nice, and I enjoyed the few days there, but it is not Argentina. It is about the same price, but the standards are not as high, the hostels are not as nice, food is not as good, so we opted to head back to Buenos Aires for our last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment